For more visit us at the following places:

For our favourite of the latest and hottest music videos, visit:
melodimvp.blogspot.com

To get regular updates from us and catch up on what we are up to, friend us at:
facebook.com/melodiradio
twitter: @melodiradiohead

Saturday 14 May 2011

Interview with Neil Diesel

Neil Diesel is a professional South African mixed martial arts champion. He is a fighter in the Extreme Fighting Championship - the biggest mixed martial arts championship in Africa. 




1.    How did you get into Mixed Martial Arts?
I was introduced to Brazilian Ju-Jitsu by my cousin after injuring myself playing rugby.  It was initially for rehabilitation, so I could resume my pro rugby career in the UK.  After the first session rugby was history and MMA was my obsession, from that moment on.

2.    What sets mixed martial arts apart from other forms of fighting or martial arts?
I respect all forms of Martial Arts, but MMA has an “aliveness” or reality that really puts it in a league of its own.  Limited rules and margin for error is very small.  I also believe it is the most physically demanding sport on the planet.

3.    Do you think that people have high expectations when they attend a fight for the first time because of the stunts that they see in movies?
Oh of course they do.  Everyone has their opinions and comments on how a fighter should or could fight, but as long as there is an interest it’s all good!

4.    Have you ever broken anything during a fight?
Yup, but nothing major “touching wood” – only small digits, knuckles, fingers, toes etc.

5.    Besides for the physical training, how do you prepare yourself mentally for a fight?
I love to read – philosophy books and look to Bruce Lee for inspiration, fighting movies and DVD’s also help, but for me, really hard sparring gets my mink sharp.

6.    Is there a lot of rivalry between fighters outside of the cage?
I guess the “Smacktalk” does create rivalry, I personally think its childish; you cant talk when you are fighting and it shows fear and doubt.  I personally believe anyone who steps into the cage to face me is brave, fit and prepared and deserves my respect.  I don’t entertain any rivalry; it’s a waste of vital energy !

7.    Do you have any advice for people who may want to enter this field?
Make sure you know what you want to get out of it before you start, and then do research on the gym’s and coaches in your area.  Then, if it’s about having fun, go for it!  But be warned, it’s like a drug and can be seriously addictive!!!

8.    Who do you look up to in your field?
Rickson Gracie, Anderson Silva, Bruce Lee – check them out!!

9.    Who is your dream opponent? Have you fought him yet?
I would love to fight Thiago Alves or George St. Pierre one day in Las Vegas – that’s the dream!

10.                       What is the best life advice you have ever received?
It’s a verse I heard in a song long age:

“Stay far from timid
Only make moves if your hearts in it
And live the phrase – ‘skies the limit’”

11.                       What kind of music do you like?
Anything that makes me smile:  Hip Hop, Reggae, some Rock

12.                       What is your favourite song?
Buffalo Soldier – Bob Marley

13.                       Your favourite place/location in the world?
Salt Rock, Ballito.  It’s a small quiet coast town, north of Durban on South Africa’s Natal coast.

14.                       Your perfect night out would be?
Some good food, good company and something on the beach, by the sea.

15.                       Are you single (this one is for the ladies)?
Well I prefer not to discuss my personal life, but, sorry ladies, im not single.





















No comments:

Post a Comment