For more visit us at the following places:

For our favourite of the latest and hottest music videos, visit:
melodimvp.blogspot.com

To get regular updates from us and catch up on what we are up to, friend us at:
facebook.com/melodiradio
twitter: @melodiradiohead

Monday 27 October 2014

Update: Interview with JonOne

Wow - time flies when you are having fun! 
It's been 3 years since our first interview with JonOne, who was known as Dj JonOne when we first spoke to him. We were excited to catch up with him, and find out what he's been up to since the last time we talked. 




It’s been 3 years since our first interview with you – please update us about what has been happening with you since?
-          I have just been pushing my music harder since the last interview! It’s all a process, but my shows have definitely gotten bigger and my music has improved.

How have you grown since? Are there any changes to the types of sets you play, the places, etc.?
-          Yes, I am now producing a lot more tracks. I’ve been doing so for about 2 years now and learning more and more every day. And I am also mainly an electronic producer and DJ now, so the shows and club gigs I play are electronic. 

You’ve since changed your professional name since our first interview, why the change?
-          I haven’t really given it a big change but instead of being “DJ JonOne” I made the switch to just “JonOne”. I made this change because I am no longer only a DJ now, but also a producer in the music world. JonOne, to me is a lot more simple and professional.
-           
 What has been the highlight of your career in the past few years?
-          The biggest highlight of my music career in the past few years was a collaboration I got to be a part of with Swedish producer and 2 time Grammy nominee, Avicii. The collaboration was called Avicii X You, and had producers work on different parts of a track, that we all put together at the end. One person worked on the melody, beat, break, bassline, and effects. I, along with 2 other producers got to work on the effects for the track. The track’s name is “X You” and currently has almost 10 million views on YouTube. “X You” was released in February 2013 under Universal Music Group. You will see our names in the video, mine shows as “Jonathan Madray” my other alias. J

Any advice to other people who may be new DJs but want to build their brand, recognition and following?
-          My advice to new producers and DJs is to be ORIGINAL.  Today’s music is so saturated and everyone tries to bite off one another. The new guys that are currently getting all the attention all have a distinct style for which they are recognized. Standing out is key, but also having quality work. As long as you make great music, the following will come.

Last time we talked you were doing Graffiti art. Is that something you are still involved in?
-          Graffiti art and just art in general was always an important aspect of my life. Growing up I was always into drawing and painting. I am no longer involved in graffiti art but it was significant because the name JonOne is based off of that.

What are the biggest obstacles you have experienced as a DJ and artist?
-          The biggest obstacle I have as being a producer and DJ is one that I am currently facing. The obstacle of being a regular kid balancing school, having a job, social life with music. I try so hard to dedicate any free time I have to doing some music work but it still gets frustrating when you have tests and quizzes to study for. This transitioning stage to doing music full time is very tough, but I plan to finish college first and then focus on my music full time.
-           
Who would you most like to collaborate with?
-          If I got the chance I would love to collaborate with Avicii one more time. His style of music is similar to the style I produce and it was an amazing experience collaborating on the track “X You.”
-           
What has been your greatest performance ever?
-          My greatest performance was the Electric Adventure festival I recently played in Seaside Heights NJ. I played this festival along with some well-known producers such as DJ Snake, Blasterjaxx, Flux Pavilion, Vinai, Headhunterz, GTA, Dzeko & Torres, ZAXX, Riggi & Piros and many more. It was such a rush playing in front of so many people. The whole experience itself was amazing too. Just the fact that I got to meet a lot of my producer friends from other countries in person and hang out with some of the bigger DJs backstage was amazing.


What is the best life advice you have ever received?
-          The best life advice that I’ve ever received was to always follow my dream. Everyone tells you this as you grow up, whether it is at school or home. But the problem with this is that when people actually come to the age where they have to go to college and choose a major, many people simply give up and forget about their passion. We start to conform to society and choose a job more secure and stable for our future. It’s only the risk takers who actually achieve their dreams, and that’s what I am. Although I am still in school right now and working a part time job, music will always be a part of my life. Getting no sleep has become a normal routine for me but in the end it will all be worth it.

Dream gig?
The last time you guys interviewed me my dream gigs were a few major clubs in NY and I actually got to play them! So now, my dream gigs have become bigger. My main dream gigs today, are EDC or Tomorrowland.

Where can people plan to see you work the decks next?
-          Next, I will be playing at 2 clubs in NYC on Oct 31st and Orlando FL in November.

And how can people keep up with what you are doing?
-          Everyone can keep up to date with my shows and music by following me on my social networks below:



No comments:

Post a Comment