For more visit us at the following places:

For our favourite of the latest and hottest music videos, visit:
melodimvp.blogspot.com

To get regular updates from us and catch up on what we are up to, friend us at:
facebook.com/melodiradio
twitter: @melodiradiohead

Thursday 4 July 2013

Interview with Anthony Bila

The work of South African artist, writer and photographer Anthony Bila is the epitome of the new, vibrant, urban landscape in Africa. Art, in all its forms, on the continent is growing at a rapid place, and more young Africans are using this to explore who they are. 
 Young African artists like Anthony have something to say, and art enables them to have a voice that is not mediated by external actors. These artists are part of a subtle but still powerful movement to change how Africa is perceived outside, and how Africans view themselves. 
Below is our interview with him. 





Who is Anthony Bila and what is The Expressionist?
I am a South African, born in the dusty streets of Tembisa in the East rand of Johannesburg. I like to think of myself as a creator, that’s where “The Expressionist” was borne because I use various mediums to communicate, or ‘express’ my thoughts, feelings and opinions to the world. Those mediums could be writing, photography or fine art, depending on my mood and preferance at the given time. With all these mediums that I’m interested in, my goal is but one, to bring Africa to the world and the world to Africa.

What are your thoughts on contemporary urban African art and fashion?
It’s an exciting time to be an African, I think with the road having been paved by our predecessors in the fields of art and fashion, it’s laid the foundation for us, the youth of Africa, to redefine how the world has percieved us for centuries. Africa is anything but the ‘dark continent’. We’re an emerging market with boundless energy and opportunity. Especially in the fields of art and fashion which are often interlinked and influenced by one another in various ways.

What is your dream for African art and fashion, and what role would you like to play in this vision?
My dream is for my contemporaries and I to realise my vision of bringing the Africa to the world and the world to Africa. That could be through collaboration between African artists, designers and musicians, taking the best of what we produce as a continent internationally, exhibiting all around the Americas and Europe respecively, telling African stories from an African perspective through art and fashion . I want to be one of those catalysts who forge ahead and pave the road for fellow Africans around the world and being a vehicle for them as well to showcase their skills and talents to the world with ferocity, passion, essentially redefining everything preconcieved or miscommunicated about Africa as a whole.
I also want to write and produce a concept/film/story that includes music, photography, art, pushing every ounce of my skills and talents to their limit to tell a story from beginning to end.

What have been the most defining moments in your journey to date?
The most defining moment has to have been starting, and by that I mean reading, nurturing my curiosity. This started from reading, then writing, then drawing, then painting, then taking photographs and now also videography.  I have collaborated with a number of brands along the way, from Mr. Price, Woolworths, to Puma and Wrangler to name a few with still others showing an interest in collaboration.

What do you draw inspiration and influence from?
The world around me, I think since childhood, books have been my richest form of escape and through books I was inspired to try my hand at writing songs, poetry and stories. Once I felt that was not fulfliing in itself, I wanted to not only paint pictures with words, but with actual paint. I now want those pictures to move and talk and feel. I’m inspired by music, movies, series and by the minds behind all this, the creators, the producers thereof. Africa is certainly my biggest inspiration, we have a rich diversity of cultures on this continent.

What has been the highlight of your career so far?
Selling some of my photographs in Cape Town to European clients has been a highlight, I’ve also worked with some youth orientated brands such as Woolworths and Mr. Price noteably. What I enjoyed is that they gave me free reign to mould and define their brands through my eyes respectively. I’m going to be travelling to the United Kingdom later this year and that will be my first trip overseas, I think that will be a huge first step in taking my Africa to the world.

Any advice for people who would like to enter in your field?
My advice would be this, do what you are passionate about and do it with the most sincerity. Forge your own path and don’t compare yourself to anyone else, instead be inspired by others but do not imitate, they’re already taken. There will only ever be one version of yourself, so push your own creative boundaries and tell your stories, don’t deprive the world of your individuality. 










To learn more about Anthony Bila and keep up with his work:

www.anthonybila.com/‎

anthonybila.tumblr.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TheExpressionistBlog


No comments:

Post a Comment