For more visit us at the following places:

For our favourite of the latest and hottest music videos, visit:
melodimvp.blogspot.com

To get regular updates from us and catch up on what we are up to, friend us at:
facebook.com/melodiradio
twitter: @melodiradiohead

Monday 13 June 2011

Interview with Editor of DESTINY MAN. Kojo Baffoe

Editor, writer, blogger, retired poet and entrepreneur. Kojo is also the editor of South Africa’s premier men’s magazine, DESTINY MAN of Ndalo Media.
We picked Kojo’s brain about his feelings on careers, success and men.  We think those of you who are starting out in your careers, whatever they are, will learn and grow from what Kojo has to say.


You have been editor of South African men’s magazine DESTINY MAN since 2010. How did you land the gig?
I had approached the magazine about writing for it. I was given the opportunity to contribute two pieces to one of the columns. I was hoping to become a bit more of a regular contributor and then the position of editor became available. I applied, went through the prerequisite interviews and eventually was fortunate enough to get the position.

Who is the target market of DESTINY MANY and what kinds of articles can they expect to find in the publication?
The DESTINY MAN reader is 25 to 55 (with a core fan base around the age of 33), a businessman or entrepreneur, who is driven, ambitious and wants the best things in life. He’s in a relationship or married, falls into LSM 7 to 10 and has a passion for brands, the A-list lifestyle and all the trappings that go with it (clothes, cars, gadgets, girls, food, wine, etc).

In your opinion, how do men’s magazines in South Africa differ from men’s magazines in countries like the United States, if at all?
Any platform in the media is supposed to speak to and for its readers, viewers, etc. Men’s magazines need to speak to South African men, taking into consideration the diversity of SA men. The idea that men are homogenous and, therefore, there is only one story, one conversation to be had, is misleading.

How would you define the South African man today, is it possible to define him? What does he want from life, what does he dream and care about?
I don’t know that one can easily pigeon-hole anyone into a neat box. I think who the South African man is today is a concept in motion. What one can say without a doubt is that he wants what everyone wants. To be able to live a positive life, with all its pleasures, within an environment that is safe, interesting and conducive to growth. I do believe that we need to be able to take more responsibility for the challenges that exist and ensure that we actively work to change some of the negative perceptions of who or what men are. That perception exists because there is much truth in men not being fathers, not accepting responsibility, not actively contributing to the development of our society. For those of us who see ourselves as the opposite of this, there is a responsibility to pick up the slack and not let these things define us. There are many great fathers, brothers, husbands, partners, friends, etc out there making significant contributions to the growth of this nation. We need to make their voices and actions the dominant image of manhood and the masculinities that exist.


Some may argue that it is still a ‘man’s world’ in business, entertainment, education, etc. But what challenges do modern South African men face?
The world is evolving and we, as a species, are evolving as well. With the change in roles, especially with women, men are getting left behind because we aren’t all having the necessary conversations about who we are, what it means to be a man, and our role in this new paradigm. As we have more & more of those discussions, we’ll get to a point where we find common ground.

What would you say has been the highlight of your career to date?
It is hard to select any particular event as THE highlight. I have been fortunate enough to work in spaces I enjoy, with people who I learn from doing things I love doing. Each one is a step on a lifelong journey of learning and doing. I am constantly grateful for those who have seem value in what I can contribute and have invited me to help build ideals, ideas and vision.

How do you see your career advancing in future?
I ended up in the media space because it is an industry that fascinates me, I have some ability in and I am passionate about. The media in Africa is still in its infancy but we are now living in a time when we can truly grow its influence globally. The platforms are numerous – from the traditional print and television to online – and I would like to continue to be involved in the media, as part of a movement to tell our stories ourselves, in our words, from our perspective.

In terms of your professional life, what major obstacles have you been challenged with and how did you overcome them?
Obstacles have been many from losing contracts I’d spent years negotiating to having businesses fail. A key lesson I was taught growing up – by my father – is that it isn’t about what happens but rather what you do, how you react. The challenges truly serve as lessons for the future and giving up is not an option so I just keep pushing on. Also, it is about understanding that, sometimes, the course you are on is not the one for you and the obstacles are there to show you that you should be moving in a different direction. And failing in something does not automatically mean you are useless or a failure. It just means that one thing did not work. Life truly goes on.

How would you define success?
I believe success is something that each of us should define for ourselves but should not be rooted in the material. While financial wealth is a great thing to have, it is not the end result. A bank account with lots of zeros is not the primary measure of success for me. The journey I took to reach that; the level of integrity and respect I operated with to achieve financial wealth; what I have been able to accomplish and how it impacts on my community; and how much I am able to provide for myself and my family and be happy – these are some of my measures of success.

Your position as editor of ‘Destiny Man’ is quite prestigious. How do you deal with the inevitable haters?
I have issues with this concept of ‘haters’. If someone does not like me or has issues with my life, that is their cross to bear. We can’t be liked by everyone. We can’t get along with everyone.  I always say that I am a ‘hater’ because I disagree with the actions and deeds of some people and, it seems, if you do not approve or agree with everyone else, it is simpler just to label others ‘haters’. I have no haters. I have a job I enjoy doing. I will do it to the best of my ability. That is where my attention is.

A lot of young people face difficulties in knowing their talents, strengths, weakness and how to apply that knowledge to their careers in the fields that they have chosen. What advice would you give to them?
Be honest with yourself. Value yourself but recognise that you do not know everything. Take your time. Don’t believe the hype. While you must work smart, hard work will take you far. It may sound like a clichéd, broken record but I feel we are too accepting of mediocrity and spend too much time looking for the quick fix. We don’t know everything so it is alright to ask for help or to not know but if you are committed to being the best at whatever you seek to achieve, you will always be on the right path. Let you work speak for you. And constantly evaluate and re-evaluate where you are and where you are going. Have a plan.

Through your profession you must have met many inspirational people. What have you noticed to be the characteristics of successful people this field?
Belief and the willingness to work single-mindedly and hard to achieve their dreams. Also a focus on doing. I have seen many ideas remain merely ideas because nothing was done. There was no action. Planning is important but not when you end up paralysed by the theory.

What and/or who inspires you?
Music inspires me. I love music. I live with a constant soundtrack. I am also inspired by people I meet along the way, from all walks of life. I have been inspired by the actions of my gardener, to the car guard I met you is an artist from Congo, from the business people I meet to my friends and family (father, son, wife, etc). Inspiration is all around us.

Who would be your dream interviewee?
The list is long and, to be honest, I would love to interview many for the opportunity to actually listen to and learn from their stories. I collect biographies and autobiographies because I find inspiration, guidance and hope in the lives of others who have accomplished, often despite the odds that faced them. Men like Malcolm X, Kwame Nkrumah, Prince, Bob Marley, etc.

Lastly, which men do you most admire?
There are many. My original example is my father and I continue to work to achieve even half the life he has lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment