For more visit us at the following places:

For our favourite of the latest and hottest music videos, visit:
melodimvp.blogspot.com

To get regular updates from us and catch up on what we are up to, friend us at:
facebook.com/melodiradio
twitter: @melodiradiohead

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Interview with Bitik.


Bitik is an Ethiopian singer, songwriter, salsa instructor and business woman.
Ethiopian music is not as prolific around the African continent, as compared to music from other African countries such as South Africa and Nigeria.
So we thought it would be cool to learn more about Ethiopian artists and Ethiopian music, straight from the source.
Bitik is an amazing and talented artist.
She is also a strong woman. Imagine having to make the choice between a medical degree and a music career?
The music industry is not stable, and it is hard to become an acknowledged and successul artist, anywhere in the world.
Our African readers especially, will understand some of the stigma and societal disapproval some young people face when they opt to enter careers in the music industry, instead of traditional and 'respectable' professions.
So please show some love and support to our friend Bitik!
She is releasing her debut album in 2012, but in the meantime you can get a tase of her music at melodimvp.blogspot.com


Can you tell us what genre of music you perform, and how you would describe your sound?
My sound I think is a mixture of all the type of music that I love to listen to. From Zouk to Pop to Ethiopian music to Rock to Salsa and much more...When I am performing live I tend to choose Pop and Rock songs mostly, although I also sing a lot of Zouk and Salsa songs...However, if I had to choose a single genre I would say Pop J

Most of our readers cannot speak Amharic. But do you think your music can transcend language barriers and appeal to anyone who does not understand the lyrics?
I think so yes. The reason for this is because even though people would not understand the language, the melody and the arrangement of my songs are western influenced, and when people hear my music they will hear something similar to what they’ve heard before. My melodies are simple and catchy and reflect the fact that I grew up in Ethiopia and the United States. My songs, sound like any other English song, except that they are in AmharicJ

What are your goals as a musician, other than the album that you are releasing in 2012?
I love singing, have loved singing since I was a little girl. And I don’t see this as a business venture; I see it more as doing what I love to do. So I am just grateful that I get to do what I love every day...When I sing, I am at peace with myself, and I am happy! So for me, my goals are simple-to keep on singing. After releasing my album, I would love to travel and perform and promote my album.

You have faced a lot of challenges and obstacles to get to this point in your career. Can you tell us about the moment you decided to stop studying medicine, and pursue your dream to sing?
I can’t tell you exactly when it was that I knew that medicine was not for me, it was more of a series of things that decided it for me. I always knew that if I was given the chance to choose I would have chosen art, and more specifically music...At the University, while I was studying for my bachelor’s degree, I was given the opportunity to volunteer in hospitals, dissect cadavers and basically see what a doctor’s life would be like and I hated everything about it, and so I found myself subconsciously sabotaging my every progress...I am the type of person who would go home and would not stop thinking about the cases the I witnessed at the hospital, I would worry if I would catch something, or I would worry about the people I saw there, and I was miserable. Life became so fragile and worrisome, and it was not like I decided suddenly...I thought at first I was feeling that way because I was burnt out from studying too much, so when, after my bachelor’s degree, I told my parents I was taking a year off to rest, I really thought at the time that I meant it...My mother knew better. She said to me that I would not go back if I stopped now, and she was right, during my year’s break I realised that I did not want to become a Doctor. So when I decided to break the news to my parents, it was not like I knew that I would be a singer now...I honestly did not dare to believe that I could! Singing for me at that point was almost like a childish and un-realistic dream...so I had pushed it far behind in my mind...I did not know what I was going to do, but the moment I decided that Medical school was not for me it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders! I was free! Then life in its amazing way put forth a series of events that led me to my dream! A couple of years later, I found myself in Addis, with a night club looking for a band to play at my club! And that it when it hit me, why not sing myself at my nightclub! The more I sang, the more I realised that this is what I was meant to do! I was finally home! I finally knew that this was the road I wanted to travel on!

Of the challenges you have overcome, can you tell us what was the most difficult, and how you overcame it?
For me, the most difficult challenge to overcome was me! My own mind stood in the way of my dream for so long! It is funny how culture and family...basically everyone around you keeps remind you how life is hard and how one has to work hard to get someplace, and how education is the only way out. Well, In Ethiopia, a singing career was not something to consider, it was not viewed upon as something to be proud of, and frankly, I used to believe that it was a childish dream. I would not even dare think about it!
It happened little by little. The more I sang at my club the more I dared to believe that I could make it. The day I stated on my Face Book page singer/songwriter as occupation, I knew I had overcome my biggest obstacle!
Do not get me wrong, if I had to do it again, I would do the same thing, because my education has helped me become the person that I am today. But I would have probably chosen a different major in collegeJ (something more in the lines of music, or art).

In your home country of Ethiopia, you also teach Salsa dancing lessons. Why do you think that Ethiopians in general are not receptive to Latin dances and music?
Well it is not that they are not receptive; it is just that the whole thing is foreign to them, so the “Salsa community” as we like to call ourselves is a very small one and that makes it very hard to base a business on. I am a member of the only Salsa band in Ethiopia called “Eshee Havana” and I see that gradually people are being introduced to Salsa dancing and more and more Salsa dancing instructors are coming on the scene.

You lived and studied in the United States for many years. The music industry in the states is huge, the biggest in the world. What are your opinions on the Ethiopian music industry, and what improvements would you like to see happen?
The music industry in Ethiopia is almost none existent! We have a long and hard road ahead of us. Things are getting better every day but still we have problems with copyright, studios, CD sells...But I am seeing a lot of improvements these last couple of years, so...

You write a lot of your own music. What inspires your song-writing process?
I write some of my music (but I love to get other people to write for me also for a little variety). I write about whatever is going on in my life, or in my friends’ lives...I might write about something I have read in a book, or have seen in a movie.  Whenever an idea comes to me, a concept, I record it on my phone, I go home, and write a song about it J

What advice would you give to other young people, who may know that they are following the wrong career path for themselves and also want to get into music, but don’t know where to begin?
Be true to yourself. In the end, you have only yourself to please. Be honest with yourself, and at the very least know what you want and what you do not want. Try as best you can not to be influenced by others. Begin anywhere, in any form, if you are waiting for the perfect moment, it might not come. Finally, DARE to believe that it can happen to you and most importantly that you deserve it!

Who are the singers that you most look up to and aspire to be like?
Zeritu Kebede, Celine Dion, J Lo, Kylie Minogue, Rihanna to name a few.

Who would be your dream collaboration?
Beyonce and Mark Anthony J


No comments:

Post a Comment