For more visit us at the following places:

For our favourite of the latest and hottest music videos, visit:
melodimvp.blogspot.com

To get regular updates from us and catch up on what we are up to, friend us at:
facebook.com/melodiradio
twitter: @melodiradiohead

Monday 23 May 2011

Interview with Lindiwe Suttle

Melodi has been lucky enough to get a few minutes of Lindiwe Suttle's time while she is busy recording her debut album in Berlin, Germany.
While you may have seen her grace the pages of glamorous magazines, Lindiwe is more than just a pretty face.
In her short time on Earth, she has been a successful stylist to glamorous women like Beyonce, she has modelled for WoolWorths Cosmetics, and is currently Brand Ambassador for Tom Ford Sunglasses, South Africa. Now, she has established herself as a music artist with the release of her single 'Man Made Moon'.

If her past successes are anything to go by, Lindiwe's music career will surely rise to Meteoric proportions.
Lindiwe Suttle


You have just released a new single, ‘Man Made Moon’. Can you tell us about it?
 The single comes with three bonus tracks, poster and fashion film.
Man Made Moon is another word for satellite. The story is about a modern day female stalker, a female satellite that is a bit delusional and stalks this particular guy on Earth. “I have been single for a while and there is a sense of desperation that I sometimes feel with myself and my other single friends. There is a lot of pressure to be in a relationship.        

What inspires your music and sound?
 My sound is electronic/dance infused with rock-n-roll and soul music. I write about social issues and personal experiences. I believe in writing about experiences that will make people want to live a better life and help create a better world.

You are known for your chic style and you setting your own trends. Where and how do you shop? 
On stage, I always wear local designers like Lara Klawikowski & Kluk CDGT. I love finding new designers.

Because of your unique fashion style and music, you have been compared to legend Grace Jones. How do you feel about the comparison? 
Grace is Queen in my book. She was ahead of her times and her music today even sounds futuristic. Any comparison to her is flattering, although we do have very different styles. I think Man-Made Moon’s cover could be homage to Grace in a way…like I said she is Queen. I wanted to image to scream POWER and Grace is POWER.

Does your music influence your fashion or vice versa? 
They are one. For instance for Man Made Moon I wanted to create a fashion film which is included with the CD. I wanted to release a fashion video along with a teaser of the single to pay tribute to the work of the creative team. Andrew Brauteseth was the stills photographer and art director, and worked closely with me to conceptualize the shoot. “Andrew shot me for the international Frazer Parfum campaign and I wanted to work with him again because I love how he directs and choreographs each frame, he understands the small stories within the whole story.
  
Based on your experience as a stylist, how would you advise young women who love your style but have tiny budgets?
 First rule of true personal style: Wearing big name labels from head to toe just means you have a lot of money, it does not mean you have style.
 True personal style is being able to mix and match. You do not need lots of money to look stylish. Only spend big money on investment items like a black blazer or a coat and other pieces. Those that are trendy do not splurge on them.

You are Brand Ambassador for Tom Ford Sunglasses, South Africa. Very cool. How did you land the gig?
Just got a call and I said yes! Tom Ford sunglasses have completely updated my style.

In your personal life, who are the people that you most admire?
My Mom and Dad.

How do you envision your career developing over the coming years?
I will release my debut album later this year. I am in Berlin now writing and recording it. I cannot wait to tour South Africa with my new songs. I am writing about such personal experiences and really feel like this album is revealing and speaks to the current social situation. I am super excited.


What advice do you have for young people who have a talent, and want to enter the music industry, but don’t know where to begin?
 1. First, ask yourself why you are doing music?
 2. Start collaborating with other artists even amateurs, this is where learning happens.
 3. Be fearless, go to perform wherever you can, it’s all practice.
 4. Find a mentor. Look for someone that is where you want to be and ask them to mentor you even if it’s through emails, learn anything you can.
 5. Work for free in the industry, in any aspect even if you are the tea lady. You will learn so much by just being around people in the industry. Get a free internship and listen and take notes.
 6. Do not give up your dream.


What obstacles have you faced in your career and how have you overcome them?
 Only obstacle in life is yourself, once I believe can do something, everything else falls into place.

What has been the highlight of your career to date?
 Just being able to be in Berlin and actually be here in the process of helping produce my album. The writing has been an amazingly open experience of really looking deep at what I wanted to talk about on this album, what will be my first message be to the world. This is my love so I am grateful I can do this as a living.

Where can people see you performing next and what other exciting things can we look forward to from you?

Follow me on twitter @lindiwesuttle and
where I will be posting exclusive links to new music and live performances.
My website is lindiwesuttle.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment